Here's a great recipe to treat the special mother in your life with from Cookin' It! with Kix, adult supervision definitely required!
I'd melt if I were served this on a tray with a cup of tea, a link or two of sausage and some fresh raspberries, strawberries, or peaches... hopefully a dandylion or two as well.
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Pour enough oil to come halfway up the sides of a large, heavy deep pot. Heat the oil over high heat for 360 degrees.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, milk, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk well to make a smooth batter.
- Fry in batches, without crowding; drop heaping tablespoons of the batter into the pot of oil. Fry, turning the beignets occasionally, until evenly browned. This could take several minutes. The best test is to take one out, cut it in half, and see if it's done in the middle. Use a slotted metal spoon to transfer the beignets to paper towels to drain.
- Sift the powdered sugar onto the beignets, and serve immediately for breakfast or brunch.
Deliver (in bed) to the mom in your life and you probably won't have to do laundry for a month (no promises!)