To celebrate National Caramel Day on April 5, my friends at Werther's Original are asking caramel lovers nationwide (me too!) how they pronounce their favorite treat: Ker-uh-muhl or Kar-muhl?
Join the conversation! Share your preferred pronunciation with hashtag #GreatCaramelDebate, #Werthers, and #NationalCaramelDay, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
Werther’s Original uses real butter, fresh cream, white and brown sugars, a pinch of salt, and a lot of time to create their caramels — so you know you are getting the best taste for all your caramel treats.
They have provided me with two irresistible recipes in honor of this delicious, buttery, chewy, uh, "holiday". Make one or both, because the only thing better than caramel is MORE caramel!
Werther's Original | Classic Caramel Apples
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Portions: 4 apples
One of my favorite caramel indulgences is Caramel Apples. Not those with a bunch of crazy toppings or other superfluous flavors, just pure, buttery, classic caramel over a crisp delicious apple. Makes memories come flooding back and my mouth water just thinking of it!
The Classic Caramel Apple; never need a reason, never out of season!
- 4 medium-size apples
- 4 caramel apple sticks
- 50 pieces (11 oz.) Werther’s Original Chewy Caramels, unwrapped
- 2 Tbsp. evaporated milk
- Push sticks into top of 4 apples.
- Place caramels and milk in 1-qt., microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high, stirring frequently until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Dip and swirl apples in melted caramel mixture, using a spoon to spread evenly.
- Place on waxed paper until caramel sets or refrigerate 15 minutes for quicker results.
- Eat and Enjoy!
For the nut-lovers out there:
Indulgent Caramel Nut Apples: Place chopped, salted skinless peanuts or toasted walnuts on waxed paper. Press bottom of caramel-dipped apple into nuts. Drizzle melted milk or semi-sweet chocolate over apples.
Werther's | Salted Caramel Brownies
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 24 Caramel Brownies
- 1 pkg. (9 oz.) Werther’s Original Chewy Caramels, unwrapped, divided
- 4 oz. good-quality unsweetened chocolate
- 1 ½ sticks (6 oz.) unsalted butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. kosher salt plus ¼ tsp. to sprinkle over batter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 13–inch baking pan with parchment paper or greased aluminum foil. Cut 24 caramels into small pieces, reserve remaining caramels.*
- Microwave chocolate and butter in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 1 minute or until melted, stirring after 30 seconds.
- Stir in the sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Stir in the flour and ½ tsp. salt until combined.
- Fold in the cut caramel pieces.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread with knife to level.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until brownies are set and just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Let cool ½ hour.
- Meanwhile, microwave remaining caramels with 1 tsp. water. Drizzle over tops of brownies and sprinkle with remaining ¼ tsp. salt. Cool completely then cut to serve.
*Note: Use a sharp scissors to cut the caramels. Substitute brownie mix for scratch brownies to save time.
Let your fingers walk their way to Werther's Original for dozens of recipes HERE.